Your Byond name: Daikyu
Your character name: Bruce the Butcher
Their Byond name (if known): TapiocaSquid
Their character name: N/A
Time and date: 18:51:59 | 6/07/2019
Round ID: 952
Logs and/or screenshots:

Description of the events that occurred:
I was banned, temporarily, for 1 (one) day. The reason was that I used the detective's .38 colt to incapacitate another crewmember. This crew member, the CMO, had sprayed me with a spray bottle of (what I presume was) chlorine trifluoride, in the cloning area of genetics. This set me alight, as shown at the top of the logs. I rolled to extinguish myself, before maneuvering into a spray blindspot of the spray bottle and firing 4 (four) .38 rounds into the hardsuited CMO until they dropped to the floor. If you don't believe the CMO sprayed me, one of the final .38 rounds I fired off actually hit the spray bottle, which was dropped because it was in the hand slot of the CMO. I then put handcuffs on the CMO, and moved him into upper medbay for treatment before I was going to incarcerate him for assault of an officer and attempted murder.

TapiocaSquid had briefly heckled me during the shift after I arrested a mime (that was marked as WANTED) by disabling them, stating that I should have used a baton instead (which I didn't have). As soon as I took down the mime and had them cuffed, they were in the brig hallway with their bleed stopped and a brute patch applied. They then attempted to blame the mime's later death on me (even though brute damage was at 22 and toxin damage was max), even after I rushed the mime to the medbay and revived them myself.

I don't really understand the ban reason, discussing the use of potentially deadly force over stuns. I was not carrying a stun baton, just a flash and pepper spray, neither of which is effective against a hardsuit. Shoves and knockdowns may have been another option, however, with a spray bottle of CL3, which is highly deadly, I believe I was justified in my choice to use a ranged, effective weapon as opposed to anything else. The member of staff failed to attempt to discuss what occurred within the genetics lab and simply banned me.

In no way did I break any server rules. I didn't murderbone by using a .38 revolver (considered a non-lethal weapon, compared to .357 rounds that it can fire). I did minimal damage to the targets I used it against and treated their injuries to a high quality immediately after their capture. While the .38 revolver is considered a fairly non-lethal weapon, I would have still been free, under space law, to use deadly force in the latter example for which I was banned. Non-lethal weapons were ineffective because the target was hardsuited, there was a severe personal risk to me, as a player, and the target was armed and dangerous. All of these reasons are considered valid circumstances for the use of lethal force, yet I merely used a .38 revolver. In a similar vein, it's not very smart to think that this is in any way griefing, powergaming, breaching space law, or otherwise being a dick.

It's stupid to think that apprehending a valid suspect and likely enemy of the corporation using relatively non-lethal means is against server rules.

Why you believe they should be punished reprimanded or given a harsh talking to:

The decision to give TapiocaSquid administrator powers should be re-evaluated. I'd like at a minimum a meaningful apology from TapiocaSquid for the misuse of their power. Hopefully, they will become a better staff member and not pull this crap again. Administrator powers is a privilege, not a right. They should be used responsibly, and do not belong in the hands of power-hungry, trigger-happy members of the community. They should not go out looking for people to ban, they should just play the game like the rest of us instead of acting like an Auschwitz prison guard, and deal with real problems, not petty shit like this, especially when they fail to even discuss the incident with players, and hand out bans like rubbers at a planned parenthood without even trying to understand the situation. That is how you lose trust in your playerbase.

EDIT:

To clarify, I don't care much for a 1 day ban, besides, shit like this turns me off playing the game. I've made a complaint post, not a ban appeal, because this shit shouldn't be happening.

Dawson1917

Janitor
Less than three minutes before you shot up the CMO you decided to open fire on a mime (myself) while they were standing still, without making any attempt to communicate that you wanted to arrest them or even nonharmfully stunning them with the baton you spawn with before applying cuffs. You proceeded to drag them an entire length of the hallway while they were in crit and by the time you reached the brig they had lost most of their blood and began receiving the suffocation and toxin damage which comes as a result of severe bloodloss. You left me bucklecuffed in hard crit in the cell until Tapioca bwoinked you after I made an ahelp, and it was only after I died that you began dragging me to medical where I died a further 3 times from bloodloss. You also asked over sec radio, and I quote, "So what were the mime's crimes?" at one point.

You opted to shoot up someone for having a red W next to their head, without knowing what they did or having any reason to believe they'd resist arrest or had attacked anyone in the shift. Post-bwoink, you immediately threatened to re-arrest the mime when they used the *slap emote, and shot at them when they deconstructed the cell window to leave. You were going to be banned at this point from what I remember. A minute or so later, I go over to medical with a parts upgrader and see you dragging a critted, shot up doctor in cuffs away from the sleepers or any other medical help and towards the exit doors of the medbay. I ahelp this again and Tapioca applies a 1-day ban to your account for doing exactly what you were just asked not to do.

Detectives start with a baton. An instant, non-damaging melee stun that gives you more than enough time to cuff someone while they're immobile. From the number of shots you fired at me and in medbay, I can only assume at some early point in the round you rushed the autolathe or sec lathe to print "extra" speedloaders for your revolver, which is a major red flag of shittery for people playing detective.

Tapioca followed normal admin procedure and had my approval (as the only other admin on the server at the time) and still does. They're not an "Auschwitz prison guard" for giving someone called 'Bruce the Butcher' a 1-day ban after you effectively killed two people as sec instead of using stuns.

TapiocaSquid

Yaki
Game Master
Seeing as my main reason for the ban was your use of lethal rounds against a non-antagonistic suspect, I feel I may need to clear something up. As the detective is slightly different from a standard security officer, going for that "gumshoe" detective feel, your baton isn't a "stun baton". It's called a "police baton", and when you sign up as detective, there is one present in your backpack. When I'm referring to your baton, that is what I'm meaning. It functions almost exactly like a telebaton, without the tele- part. Using this would have worked on the hardsuited CMO, as nothing stops the stun from a baton. Using your gun as a detective should likely be your last choice, not your first.

Daikyu

Assistant
Thanks for your response.

Using your gun as a detective should likely be your last choice, not your first.
I acknowledge that, and I accept that during my encounter with the mime, I should have been carrying the baton. As a weird habit of mine, I prefer to not use backpacks, probably because I like to keep my inventory organised and the backpack generally ends up as a large dump pouch. I'll definitely carry the baton in the future, now knowing that it acts like a telebaton.

However, this is not relevant in my encounter with the CMO. As I had discussed previously, above, the encounter filled three circumstances in which lethal force may be appropriate, needing only one in order to take action. Call me a coward but I think it's unnecessary to ask me to use a baton against a two tile pyrotechnical chemical weapon. The number one thing you want in that situation is distance, and using a baton doesn't facilitate that. Even if I were to strike the CMO down, I would surely have been ignited, and likely critted by the time I got the cuffs on. I don't understand why acting within the boundaries of space law is banworthy. Receiving an ahelp from an onlooker, who doesn't know most of the story, should not be grounds for instant action, no matter how much you trust them (and I know, Dawson is quite trustworthy, I trust him and his decisions). I acknowledge that I did the wrong thing with the mime, as we discussed in our ahelps, but the incident with the CMO was self defence, in which I acted within space law, and against no server rules.
I would have still been free, under space law, to use deadly force... Non-lethal weapons were ineffective because the target was hardsuited, there was a severe personal risk to me, as a player, and the target was armed and dangerous. All of these reasons are considered valid circumstances for the use of lethal force [as outlined in the RULES, as well as in the SPACE LAW directory
EDIT: I'm not witch-hunting Tapioca, I'm just trying to get them to not act so hastily in the future and take in all evidence to make a reasonable decision. I acknowledge that I did the wrong thing with the wanted mime, and I learnt from that thanks to Tapioca's amessages.

Status
Not open for further replies.